01 Jul T2W’s Fruit Of The Spirit Challenge
5 Things To Know About Prayer & Fasting
1. Fasting Is Difficult.
2. Fasting Does Not Change God.
3. God Hears Our Prayers Before We Fast.
In Daniel 10, we learn that God heard Daniel’s prayer the first day he prayed. “Since the first day you began to pray for understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your request has been heard in heaven.” God hears our prayers already. Fasting is like pouring gas into the already blazing fire of prayer: humbling yourself, quieting your overactive mind, and opening your heart so you can hear God more clearly. Your spiritual senses become sharpened.
4. The Act of Fasting Won’t Change Your Husband.
Just as we can’t twist God’s arm to change His will when we fast, we don’t change our husbands through the act of fasting. God is the only one with the access and ability to change your spouse’s heart and intention. Yes, fasting is powerful and can adjust the trajectory of marriage, however, God is actually trying to change YOU. We have to get out of our own of the way, humble ourselves, and allow the Holy Spirit to be at work.
5. Fasting Changes You.
But either way, fasting is about you. To pound, develop, strengthen the muscles of your spirit. To help you stay on a difficult, perhaps unpopular path. To give you clarity in the midst of turmoil. To position you for supernatural interventions. To mature you in your walk with God.
Yay!!!! Are you excited about this challenge? Here are your options for FASTING!
The Daniel Fast Food List
- All fruit – fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned.
- All vegetables – fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned.
- All whole grains – amaranth, barley, brown rice, oats, quinoa, millet, and whole wheat.
- All nuts & seeds – almonds, cashews, macadamia nuts, peanuts, pecans, pine nuts, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and sunflower seeds; unsweetened almond milk. Nut butters are also included.
- All legumes – canned or dried; black beans, black eyed peas, cannellini beans, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), great northern beans, kidney beans, lentils, pinto beans, and split peas.
- All quality oils – avocado, coconut, grapeseed, olive, peanut, sesame, and walnut.
- Beverages– distilled water, filtered water, and spring water.
- Other – unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk, or soy milk; herbs, spices, salt, pepper, unsweetened coconut flakes, seasonings, Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, soy products, and tofu.
Foods to Avoid on the Daniel Fast
- All meat & animal products – bacon, beef, buffalo, eggs, fish, lamb, poultry, and pork.
- All dairy products – butter, cheese, cream, milk, and yogurt.
- All sweeteners – agave nectar, artificial sweeteners, brown rice syrup, cane juice, honey, molasses, raw sugar, syrups, stevia, and sugar.
- All leavened bread & yeast – baked goods and Ezekiel bread (if it contains yeast and honey).
- All refined & processed food products – artificial flavorings, chemicals, food additives, preservatives, white flour, and white rice.
- All deep-fried foods – corn chips, French fries, and potato chips.
- All solid fats – lard, margarine, and shortening.
- Beverages – alcohol, carbonated drinks, coffee, energy drinks, herbal tea